This easy vegan mushroom Stroganoff with coconut milk is the perfect comfort dish. Ready in 35 minutes, it’s an easy go-to recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
Whip up this easy dinner for a busy mid-week treat. It’s filling and keeps one feeling satiated for hours.
If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy Vegan Meatloaf with Mushrooms and Lentils
Or try a dessert, like Our Best Vegan Tiramisu Recipe.
Mushrooms are fast becoming a recognized superfood. Packed with antioxidants and low in calories, mushrooms have many health benefits. They are the perfect addition to any vegan diet and their versatility makes them a staple in vegan kitchens around the world.
This recipe boasts 6 cups of sliced mushrooms and will not be lacking in that umami flavor that makes them so moreish! To round it off, we’ve used coconut milk to create a smooth creamy sauce that brings the richness of traditional Stroganoff but without the dairy.
Tips to make this recipe
- Wash, dry, and slice the mushrooms just before you plan to use them. If you wash the mushrooms too long in advance, they can become slimy.
- Cooking time varies from stove to stove, so keep a close eye on the mushrooms to make sure you don’t overcook them.
- Add a little bit of the water to the cornstarch, and create a smooth paste. Once all the cornstarch is mixed, add all the water and keep mixing. This will prevent lumps from forming in the sauce.
Serve this Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff with pasta or rice and a green salad on the side. To pack in more plant-based goodness, you can replace normal pasta with spiralized veggies like zucchini or use cauliflower rice instead of normal rice.
If you have a gluten intolerance, swap the wheat pasta for a gluten-free pasta of your choice. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
This dish is perfect for a vegan-friendly lunch or snack at the office. You might well have your non-vegan colleagues asking for a taste, so be sure to pack in extra!
Easy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups sliced mushrooms
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup water
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1 bunch flat parsley, chopped
- Heat a skillet, and add the olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms have softened, add the coconut milk, mustard, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and nutritional yeast. Mix well.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add a little of the water to the cornstarch, and make a smooth paste. Make sure there are no lumps. Add the rest of the water to the paste and mix.
- Add the cornstarch water mixture into the mushroom sauce, and continue cooking for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Add the chopped parsley and serve over your choice of pasta or rice.